In our childhood, we are full of dreams. We want to conquer the world. We have so many desires, regarding our careers, families and life. However, with every day we age, we find out that life is not an ideal place.
We hustle all we can, but people still let us down. We still let ourselves down. And life still doesn’t always turn the way we plan it. What do with imperfection? My guest today, Michele Cushatt, gives us some wisdom on this very subject.
Michele Cushatt, best known as the co-host of This is Your Life podcast (10 million downloads and counting) with Michael Hyatt, is known for her practical insight, humor and wisdom. She is also a best-selling author, sought-after speaker and speaking coach.
In this episode, we talk about Michele’s most recent book, Undone: A Story of Making Peace with an Unexpected Life. In our conversation, she opens up about a phone call that forever changed her life, a divorce and so much more.
3 Big Takeaways:
- Your strength is your weakness, and your weakness is your strength. As this is true for you, it is also true for your loved ones. As you come to see this for yourself, this will help embrace your flaws. As you have this integrated perception of your loved ones, it will help you draw closer and become more appreciative of them.
- Don’t let your mistake equate with you’re a total failure. You made a mistake. You’re human. Instead of being so hard on yourself, pick yourself up and just do it differently. (And adopt that same idea when relating to others.)
- Embracing imperfection is a daily choice. Even though we may know that embracing imperfection and what is may be a positive thing, we forget that it is a daily choice. Everyday we have the possibility of becoming bitter, anxious or depressed about the imperfections of our lives. Likewise, on the other side of, sometimes, painfully accepting what is on a daily basis, we have the possibility of encountering God’s peace and grace.
Someone of the questions I ask:
- How did you rise above the feelings of shame and failure, after having a divorce? (19:03)
- Our worst circumstances often lead us to see and experience God in new ways, how has that been true for you in your journey?
Sneak Peak of More:
- Why Michele wrote the book, Undone (6:07)
- The phone call that forever changed Michele’s life (8:09)
- How to help loved ones experiencing pain and suffering in their lives (14:55)
- Unconditional love for a child who is living different values than you (29:44)
- The “Grace of a Rough Draft” Life (37:23)
- Undone: A Story of Making Peace with an Unexpected Life by Michele Cushatt
- This Your Life Podcast